Project: Perpetual Calendar
Make your own monthly wall calendar and keep important dates a glance away.
by Judi Kauffman
EnvyPak Adhesive Pockets are the key to this perpetual calendar. Use pockets to establish the year by slipping a card with the current year into the clear pocket on the front cover. Do the same for each month and you can add or replace the cards as needed.
Each page is made from a full 12 x 12 inch sheet of heavy weight scrapbook paper. You can vary the calendar dimensions and design to suit your needs. Your calendar can be long and skinny, sized to fit a narrow wall, or it can be spiral bound and sit on a desk. You could even make a purse size version from 3 x 5 index cards – the possibilities are endless.
The number of pockets per month is up to you. Make a calendar with just one pocket per page, or add a pocket for each member of the family. Use pockets to hold photos, tickets, business cards and other items, in addition to dates and reminders.
For this project I used two pockets per month, one for birthdays and one for parties and other events, except for June and December where I used more pockets. Thatâ€™s because these are the busiest months for many of us, a time for more lists and reminders. If you like to design on a computer, create a digital background and add EnvyPak Adhesive Pockets and some dimensional embellishments for the finishing touches. If you prefer traditional paper crafts, cut, punch, layer and glue papers to create collage pages as shown.
- 2 or more EnvyPak Adhesive Pockets per calendar page (1 for the cover page)
- 14 sheets of 12 x 12 scrapbook paper (12 patterned, 2 solid color for front and back covers) – Karen Foster Design
- 12 sheets of 12 x 12 calendar text paper* – Karen Foster Design
- 12 sheets of 8.5 x 11 solid color card stock – Karen Foster Design
- Gold vellum (for November leaves)
- White card stock (amount needed depends on number of pockets per calendar page) – Making Memories
- Sakura Gelly Rollâ„¢ Moonlight and Pigma Micron pens – Sakura of America
- Assorted flat and dimensional stickers and embellishments – Karen Foster Design
- Rub-on lettering (black) – Karen Foster Design
- .25″ round punch
- Jumbo leaf punch – McGill
- Beacon PaperTac and KidsChoice glues – Beacon Adhesives
*There will be enough left over from the calendar text paper to make three more calendars.
Choose 12 background papers that coordinate with the calendar text paper for each month.
Cut a 5 x 6 inch piece of calendar text paper for each page. Add a 7 x 8 inch contrasting solid color card stock border. For variety, place this rectangle in different positions on the 12 background papers as shown. (Centered, off to the left or right, toward the top edge, toward the bottom)
Add two or more EnvyPak Adhesive Pockets to each page. Arrange stickers and other embellishments as shown or as you choose.
Create a cover for the calendar by surrounding an EnvyPak Adhesive Pocket with a strip of each monthâ€™s calendar text paper and assorted stickers and embellishments.
Cut a 2 x 3.5 inch piece of white card stock for each pocket. Using Gelly Rollâ„¢ Moonlight and Pigma Micron pens, write the names and dates in colors that coordinate with each monthâ€™s collage.